Menu

St Michael Catholic Primary School & Nursery

Excellence  Enrichment  Enjoyment

Search Search
Translate Translate

Sports & Physical Education

Our Vision

At Saint Michael’s, we believe Physical Education (PE) and sport is important because PE develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities and competitive sport. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills, and it promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. Thus, we enable children to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives. We aim for all our pupils to enjoy sport and physical activity and feel the benefit of both, through positive mental and physical well-being.

 

PE and Sport enjoys a high profile at St Michael's. We have excellent facilities including a large sports hall, a smaller hall, a grass field, an all-weather pitch and tarmac playgrounds. We have football goals, netball posts, basketball hoops and an extremely well stocked PE shed full of resources to support sports and PE. 

 

Our curriculum is bespoke to our school and is enriched by our extra-curricular provision. Inter-school competitions are held regularly, which are championed and organised by our Sports Crew. We also take part and achieve very well in school to school competitions across a range of sports. 

 

Our approach to play encourages physical development, movement and activity. We have a wealth of resources to promote challenging play including rope trails, climbing frames, monkey bars, activity benches, scooters, bikes and trikes, table tennis, tennis rackets, basketball, football and a host of other pupil-led activity. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Swimming

All pupils in Year 4 attend swimming lessons led by a qualified swimming instructor so that they can all:

  • Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of 25 metres
  • Use a range of strokes effectively
  • Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations

 

If they do not meet these goals in Year 4, we aim to provide further lessons in Year 5 and 6.

 

In 2019-20, 95% of pupils in Year 6 met these goals. The remaining 5% (3 pupils) were not able to have extra lessons due to the COVID restrictions in place.

 

In 2020-21, COVID restrictions prevented swimming lessons from taking place so we were unable to accurately assess how many pupils met these goals. We have made plans to have a swimming pool on sit in the Autumn Term of 2021-22 so that Key Stage 2 children can catch up and meet the goals above.

 

Curriculum

For full information on our PE Curriculum, please click here

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sport Premium Funding

The government is providing funding to schools to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.

 

The premium is spent on making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.

This means that schools should use the premium to:

 

  • The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
  • The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
  • Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
  • Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
  • Increased participation in competitive sport

 

    Top